Do you know that both expectant and lactating moms need protein in their diet? For a healthy pregnancy, birth and baby, make sure you consume the right amount of protein.
Protein shakes are the best in solving deficiency of protein to a nursing mother as it supplements the diet. They are so easy to make. Besides, they have a good taste. All you need to do is to mix the protein powder with the milk or with a fruit or veggie smoothie.
Always consider all-natural plant-based protein powder or whey protein powder. Avoid those with harmful preservatives, chemicals or artificial sweeteners.
With our 5 choices, enjoy an increase in milk supply, curb sugar cravings, enjoy a quicker postpartum recovery, and curb those morning sicknesses and nausea. Moreover, you have an option that you can consume and substitute your full meal if you are a busy mom. Let us explore the guide.
Is It Safe to Take Protein Shakes While Pregnant or Breastfeeding?
The answer is YES! Protein is essential to a pregnant and nursing mom. Also, it is crucial in baby’s development, like building new cells.
When you get the right amount of protein during your pregnancy period, your baby is likely to have normal and healthy birth weight. A healthy baby means fewer chances of getting infections after birth.
Also, women with high amounts of protein are capable of carrying their babies full-term since iron in the protein, levels out their blood pressure. If, as a pregnant mother, you are on bed rest, consider taking higher amounts of proteins and you will note the improvement.
It is advisable to consult your health practitioner in case you have any uncertainties concerning the protein powder you would wish to take.
Reviews of 5 Best Protein Powders for Pregnant and Breastfeeding Moms
1. Mommi Prenatal Protein Shake
Best for Nausea and Morning sickness
For your sweet pregnancy cravings, this chocolate flavored prenatal protein powder must quench your desire. Enjoy this delicious product and yield maximum benefits with your baby.
With this protein shake, both mum and baby will yield 15 grams of whey protein per each serving. Besides, one will also get calcium, iron, vitamin C etc.
It contains some contents of B6, which helps to relieve morning sickness or nausea to most mothers as it provides a calming effect.
Enjoy this all-natural product free from harmful chemicals. Moreover, it is certified by OB/GYN as it has met all nutritional standards set for both breastfeeding and nursing moms.
It is recommended to both expectant and nursing moms as it a great source of vitamins and nutrients for both mom and baby. 2 servings are enough for the day and each bag is expected to serve around 15 scoops/servings.
One can incorporate it into any drink; milk, juice or water.
- OB/GYN approved
- Gluten-free ingredients
- It is a cow-based product thus contain whey protein
- Contains vitamins and nutrients essential for mommy and baby
- Does not contain DHA ingredient which promotes fetus brain and eye development
2. Baby Booster Prenatal Vitamin Supplement Shake
Best Protein Powder for Morning Sickness
This supplement is an excellent source of nutrition for both lactating and expectant moms. Each package contains around 15 servings. Each serving, which implies one scoop, contains approximately 20 grams of protein. Protein is a great essential during pregnancy as it promotes fetus growth, like building new cells.
In addition, DHA is another vital ingredient present that ensures the fetus brain and eye development. It also contributes to quick growth of the fetus in the last trimester.
It contains all-natural ingredients with low sugar content, thus a great deal for mums with gestational diabetes. Moreover, it does not include any harmful chemicals.
With its taste, you will satisfy your sweet cravings. Enjoy any of the flavors as it comes in 2 options; Kona mocha and Tahitian vanilla flavor. You can include it in any drink or perhaps your favorite fruit or veggie smoothie.
It has met all nutritional standards set for expectant mothers; thus OB/GYN certified. It’s greatly recommended for moms experiencing morning sickness as it calms down the mother’s tummy with significant effect.
It is a recommended product for both breastfeeding and pregnant moms. For maximum benefits, one can consume 2 to 3 servings per day.
- Contains DHA ingredient
- Soy and gluten-free
- Contain neither artificial sweeteners, colors nor flavors
- OB/GYN approved
- No preservatives
- No caffeine
- It’s expensive but worth
3. Boobie Bar Plant-Based Protein Shake
Best Protein Shake for Busy Moms
Meal Replacement Protein Shake
This product is created with the needs of a busy lactating mom in mind. It is packed with protein, fiber, pre and probiotic supplements to substitute a full meal for those busy moms.
It is a complete protein supplement as it contains 9 essential amino acids and it is an all-natural protein shake made from plant-based ingredients.
Worry no more if you have a deficiency in milk supply as it contains milk boosting galactagogues that aid in increasing mommy’s milk supply. Also, with this protein shake, you are capable of regaining back that cute body shape before pregnancy plus your hair that shed off during pregnancy.
Moreover, your immune system will be boosted and chances of falling sick minimized; thus, your nursing period will be a breeze.
It contains no artificial sweeteners, but rather, it is sweetened with natural monk fruit extract and stevia. It is best for vegetarians as it is dairy-free.
It is a recommended product for both breastfeeding and pregnant moms. For maximum health benefits, consume 2 or 3 servings per day. The package will serve you for some days as it contains approximately 20 servings.
- Contains milk boosting galactagogues
- No artificial sweeteners
- Contains vitamin D3 that aids in boosting the immune system of a mum
- Gluten and soy-free
- Best for vegetarians as it is dairy-free
- A certified product
- Some moms do not like the stevia taste
4. Milk Dust Lactation Protein Powder
Best for Curbing Sugar Cravings
For breastfeeding moms with sugar cravings, curb them with this plant-based protein shake that is derived from pea protein, brown rice protein, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and flax seeds; all-natural.
Besides, it will assist in refining the post-partum body back to the former body shape as well as boost the milk supply as it contains fenugreek seed, fennel seed, red raspberry leaf and milk thistle that aid in increasing or maintaining mummy’s milk supply.
It contains the right form of folate in the natural form of L-Methyl folate, which can be absorbed by most moms yielding nutritional benefits to both mommy and baby. Folate is essential for the growth of the baby.
It contains 16 g plant-based protein. It is soy, gluten and corn free and neither contain artificial sweeteners nor chemicals. Each package will serve you for some time as it contains 22 servings.
- Contains milk boosting galactagogues
- Curbs sugar cravings
- Dissolves pretty well in any drink
- Does not contain artificial sweeteners
- Contain natural ingredients
- Some moms don’t like its taste
5. Protiva New Mom Protein Powder
Best Protein Powder for Quicker Postpartum Recovery
This is a fantastic gift for moms after delivery. It helps in post-partum recovery as it provides essential nutrients to recovering mums by boosting their energy.
It contains essential minerals, vital vitamins, protein, calcium and collagen that aids in increasing milk production to a lactating mother.
It is an all-natural powder that contains only 2 grams of sugar. Moreover, it is OB/GYN certified to assist in wound healing after delivery.
Mix it in either a fruit or veggie smoothie and enjoy the great taste. Besides, it is a safe product for both the mum and baby as it does not contain any preservatives.
- Enhances postpartum recovery
- Increases milk production in a lactating mother
- Tastes great when mixed in fruit or veggie smoothies
- Preservative free
- Allergen free
- Gluten, soy and dairy free
- Lactose free
- Does not have a good taste when mixed with water
Different Types of Protein Powders
There are a variety of protein powders in the market today. Let’s evaluate the main types;
- Whey Protein: This protein powder is derived from the process of making cheese from milk. It contains the highest concentration of amino acids. It comes in 2 forms;
- Isolate form: the healthiest as it contains low to no fat and cholesterol
- Concentrate form: contains a lot of fat and cholesterol
- Casein Protein: This type of protein is absorbed very slowly into the body. It can be absorbed for 4 to 6 hours, providing the body with a steady stream of protein. The best time to consume it is during bedtime as it will prevent the body from consuming its own muscle mass trough catabolism.
- Rice Protein: Most rice powder proteins are allergen-free. Also, they are easily and quickly absorbed by the body.
- Egg white Protein: This type has a lot of calories. Moreover, it doesn’t give one a lot of protein per serving and one may end up consuming 2 to 3 servings as opposed to other types of protein powders.
- Soy Protein: This is the best for vegetarians. However, it is believed to have the lowest quality of protein.
Which is the Best Type of Protein Powder for a Pregnant or Breastfeeding Mom?
All the types listed above are safe for nursing mothers and the baby as they are derived from natural sources. However, choose the type that will meet your dietary protein needs.
Avoid those with preservatives, chemicals or artificial sweeteners. To be sure of what you are consuming, consult your midwife or health practitioner.
The Bottom Line
With tons of brands today offering varieties of protein powders, it may be overwhelming to select the perfect choice.
We have evaluated different types and chose the above 5 as the safest for both the mother and the baby. Take the protein shake as a snack and supplement your diet! We hope you enjoy your pre and postpartum period and have a healthy baby!